Traveling by vehicle is an attractive option for many, making owning your own vehicle a borderline must in most parts of the country.
Recently, more and more diversity has appeared on the market, with several safe, reliable options to go along with several faster, more exciting cars for those looking for more than simply a way to get from point A to point B. With the explosion in popularity of hybrid and electric vehicles as well as the rapid growth in sales for SUVs and Crossovers, consumers now have even more to choose from, and that is all before even considering the vast array of brands.
With all of this in mind, BetAlabama.com decided to break from Alabama sports betting updates to see exactly which car brands are most popular across the United States, with an emphasis on which types of vehicle are most popular in each state and in particular Alabama. We did this by using carlogos.org as a starting point to find the 50 most popular car brands, and then using Google trends to search each car brand to see the highest level of interest in each state for the brand.
Favorite Car Brand By State
After completing the trends for a 12-month cycle from July 25th, 2022 to July 25th, 2023, we were able to average out the results to get the top car brand for each state.
- Honda (7 states): Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina
- Dodge (5 states): Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico
- Ford (4 states): Michigan, Montana, South Dakota, Wyoming
- Audi (4 states): Colorado, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York
- Mercedes-Benz (3 states): Florida, Georgia, Virginia
- Chevy (3 states): Kentucky, North Dakota, Oklahoma
- Mazda (3 states): Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Washington
- Volkswagen (3 states): New Hampshire, Oregon, Utah
- Buick (3 states): Indiana, Iowa, Wisconsin
- Hyundai (3 states): Alabama, Arizona, Illinois
- 1 state: California (Tesla), Hawaii (Toyota), Maine (Volvo), Nebraska (Lincoln), Nevada (BMW), New Jersey (Land Rover), Ohio (Kia), Rhode Island (Alfa Romeo), Tennessee (Nissan), Texas (Lamborghini), Vermont (Subaru), West Virginia (Jeep)
Hyundai is Most Popular Car Brand in Alabama
Honda dominated the rankings, taking first place in seven states — Alaska, Delaware, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Dodge and Ford came next, with five and four states preferring those vehicles.
We were primarily interested in seeing which vehicles were most popular in Alabama, and the data from the search shows the most popular vehicle brand in Alabama is Hyundai. Hyundai also topped the rankings in Arizona and Illinois.
As is the case with most vehicle brands, the top-selling Hyundai in 2023 has been its compact SUV. The Tucson isn’t the most thrilling vehicle to drive but it delivers in safety, reliability, looks and perhaps most importantly in price, offering consumers the feeling of a premium ride but without the price tag that usually accompanies it.
The Hyundai Elantra ranks right behind the Tucson, satisfying consumers looking for a sleek, modern-looking car. Recent sports and hybrid models have also contributed to its success. Ranking third among Hyundai’s in the country is the Santa Fe, a midsize crossover SUV that has seen a large increase in sales already this year. The Santa Fe is a great choice for families or for those in the market for a vehicle with some more cargo room.
With so many great options, it’s no surprise to see Hyundai challenge Honda in several states, with its popularity expected to continue to rise in Alabama in the coming years.
Regardless of which car brand is your favorite, we are unlikely to have Alabama sportsbook promos geared toward this subject when they become live, but you never know.